Wednesday, December 16, 2015

"The Empire Strikes Back" (1980)


This past afternoon, I continued my re-visitation of the original Star Wars trilogy with the second installment: "The Empire Strikes Back" (1980)

Review:
This is a great sequel, as well as a great Science fiction Classic on its own. Irvin Kershet did a great job directing, as well as keeping the heart and charm that made Star Wars great. It features a very interesting story, an expansion of the Star Wars universe, new characters, great special effects for the time, intense action scenes, funny moments, interesting and quotable dialogue, and a darker approach. I'm not going to spoil it (although the movie has been around forever), but that twist at the end (and yes, there IS a twist) gets me every time. The only problem is that the version I watched was the special edition with added CGI background effects which are a bit distracting. Overall, The Empire Strikes Back is a great successor/continuation that surpasses its predecessor, and I would highly recommend it to science fiction fans.

Max Scale:
Special Edition-9/10
Original Cut-10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment